Bringing the Health Spa Home: Hydrotherapy and Hydromassage (Part 1)28th March 2007
Ask yourself this question: How much time do you set aside each day to relax and take time out? The way of modern life causes many of us to spend more time doing more work and activities rather than stopping and taking a break. During the process of recovering from the strain of everyday life, it is important to keep exercise and relaxation in balance with one another to benefit your body in the best way possible.
For many of us the prohibitive costs of health centre spas deter us from enjoying the range of activities that a hydromassage spa can offer. Bringing hydrotherapy and hydromassage home as part of the spa experience allows you and your family the chance to reap the benefits of many hydromassage treatments. The following methods are just a few ideas that you can utilise in an attempt to create your home spa. Now you can create the best spa treatments in the comfort of your own home and give you and your family a chance to relax the home spa way.
Using water in the right way can cleanse the skin, stimulate blood flow and assist the body in the process of detoxifying itself. Hydrotherapy techniques have been utilized in health spas since Greek and Roman times where ice-cold plunge pools where chosen over warm baths in order to stimulate and tone the body. Hydrotherapy can also improve blood circulation, reduce muscle strain and aches, and bring relief from soreness in your shoulders, back, feet, and neck.
One method simply involves the change of water temperature within your standard home shower. Individuals with the advantage of a power shower or shower enclosure can utilise this method more effectively.
- Start by getting into the shower and lathering the skin with an exfoliating scrub accompanied with warm water.
- Afterwards, change the temperature to a much cooler setting and allow the water to run over the entire body.
- Concentrate on the torso, stomach, back and legs. (If one is using a shower enclosure or cubicle that benefits from body jets then use these on the aforementioned areas).
- Once the entire body has been exposed to the cooler water, return to warmer water to finish.
- Towel yourself dry. Instantly you should feel refreshed, awake and invigorated.
The main advantage of this method is its the ease and accessibility. Why not try starting the day with this method and see how beneficial it can be to your everyday morning routine.
Hydromassage is the therapeutic use of warm water and pressure jets along with buoyancy that provides many healing effects for your body, including:
- Reducing the effects of stress – All types of massage therapy including hydromassage has a positive effect on the body’s parasympathetic nervous system. The parasympathetic system conserves energy as it slows the heart rate in order to increase intestinal activity, thus relaxing muscles around the body.
- Decreasing chronic pain - Many of us tend to ignore chronic pains as we go about our daily lives hoping that it will go away with the use of unnatural drugs. Hydromassage therapy can assist any conditions that cause chronic pain as well as decreasing the initial pain overall. Hydromassage also causes the body to increase the release of endorphins (biochemical compounds inside our body that work like natural painkillers) into the nervous system thus decreasing any feelings of discomfort.
- Strengthening the immune system – The lymphatic system plays an important role within our body as it’s responsible for the healing of and defense from viruses and infection. Individuals who lack active lifestyles tend to have lethargic blood flow due to tight muscles not allowing smooth unrestricted flow of the blood. This increases the work load of the heart, resulting in an individual feeling fatigued and exhausted when doing the slightest physical task. Hydromassage helps relieve tight contracted muscles ultimately stimulating the blood flow through the muscles and decreasing the stress on the heart. Good blood flow helps get oxygen around the body effectively when and where you need it, consequently resulting in excess energy to do other things.
- Improving skin tone – Everyday surroundings including the sun & pollution, and lack of vitamins can all contribute to bad skin tone, wrinkles, drying and the ageing process. Hydromassage enlarges the capillaries which speed up the rejuvenation process of skin and removal of harmful toxins within the body leaving your skin feeling brand new.
- Helping you sleep better – Stress from everyday life can make a peaceful night’s sleep seem very difficult. Poor sleep patterns leave you feeling petulant and fatigued. Alongside complete muscle relaxation, hydromassage helps settle your heart rate which causes your blood pressure to lower. Breathing patterns become more rhythmic preparing your body for the state it needs to be in to achieve that perfects night’s sleep.
Hydromassage bathtubs are the perfect way to take advantage of the infinite benefits that hydrotherapy can provide. With more affordable models becoming available in the marketplace, purchasing one to replace your standard bathtub would be great move towards bringing the health spa into your home.
Part 2: Bringing the Health Spa Home: Aromatherapy
Note: Di Vapor is not responsible for the views, opinions or advice represented in the articles on this site. You are advised to seek medical advice before following any such information. Copyright © March 2007 Di Vapor.