A steam shower
is a unit that combines a steam room along with a shower enclosure. That is, it has the functionality to act as both a steam room and as a normal shower enclosure. There are many additional features that are often found in a residential steam shower. The list below summarises the most readily available features:
- Aromatherapy capability - The steam enclosure may include a special inlet on the steam outlet where aromatherapy oils can be inserted. This feature gives users the opportunity to enjoy the numerous health and relaxation benefits aromatherapy has to offer.
- Large overhead shower - Steam showers often have a large overhead shower, either round or square, which gives a drenching rain like experience when showering or cooling off after a hot steam session.
- Digital control panel & remote control - A lot of the features in a steam shower are controlled by a digital control panel. The control panel inside a steam shower is often straight forward to operate. Simply press the button of the desired feature and that function will be activated. The steam shower may come with a remote control which can be useful for activating the steam when outside of the steam shower.
- Foot massage - This device often clips onto the wall of the steam shower and is unclipped and placed on the shower base when in use. The foot massager has grooved rollers for the user to run their feet over, while jets of water (usually two) are sprayed on the soles of the feet. The foot massager helps relieve tired muscles and improves circulation to the feet and legs.
- Music, phone connection & radio - When available, the music connection will allow you to connect your MP3 player or iPod allowing you to listen to your favourite music or an interesting audio book. Simply start your track playing, sit back and enjoy your steam session.
- Overhead lights - Typically recessed into the ceiling of the steam shower, a fluorescent, spot or LED light will create the ambience and extra lighting inside the cabin.
- Body jets - Body jets are a great way to work out the tension that builds up in the back muscles. The high pressure water that comes out of the jets will relax the muscles and encourage circulation.
- Steam - The main feature of a steam shower is the option to enjoy a steam session. Steam is created in a steam generator behind the unit which disperses the steam into the cabin through a specially designed steam outlet. After about 15-20 minutes, the steam shower will be at a good temperature and filled with steam. Simply step in, sit down on the seat and melt away any worries and anxieties.
Typically, each of the aforementioned steam shower features can be used independently. For example, you could just use the body jets or perhaps use the overhead shower while having a steam session!
Adding Desirability to Your Home
Owning a luxury steam shower is becoming increasingly popular. Currently, a steam shower can be a differentiating factor between houses, making your humble abode distinctive from others in the market.
Steam showers are not only desirable for their practicality and numerous features but they are also desirable for the many health benefits they provide. A steam shower resembles some of the luxuries you enjoy at a relaxing spa. This not only makes it desirable for you and your family but is bound to make you the envy of your friends. More importantly, if you do decide to sell your house in the future it is likely to help in the selling process. Alternatively, a majority of steam showers are free standing units. This means if you want to disassemble the enclosure and install it in a different bathroom or a different house, this can be a relatively straight forward task.
A steam shower can be looked at as an asset. When you buy one it could be seen as an investment. Not only is it an investment in your house but also to the health of you and your family.
The Perfect Home Improvement
A survey carried out by Abbey said that the most desired home improvements included hot tubs, saunas and gyms, all of which are health, fitness and spa related. A steam shower would fall into exact the same category as these most desirable home improvements.
Exclusivity, desirability, value and the perfect home improvement are four great reasons for buying a steam shower, making this a positive home improvement decision.
Good for your health
A steam session can be good for your body! With the speed of society today, many people neglect their body's and don't take care of it as they really should. Spending time having a steam session is great way to fight an array of ailments and problems including:
All of us have been stressed and know how it affects us both mentally and physically. Getting away from everything to spend time by yourself in the steam shower is a great way to reduce stress. While in the steam cabin you can forget about everything, letting the soothing warmth relax every muscle in your body, making you feel loose and relaxed. On the other hand, relaxing in a steam cabin is a great place to focus and clear your thoughts, helping you to problem solve and think.
The Health and Safety Executive gives unequivocal evidence showing how stress impacts the body and society. In the report it states that 25% of absenteeism is due to stress, costing the industry £3.7 billion each year. Combined, that includes 13.5 million working days with an average of 28.5 days off per person. Dai Timothy, a business owner says, 'Since I have had a steam shower it has become integral to my daily routine. In the evening, after work, when I need to relax the most, I use the steam shower and I feel my stress levels decreasing, which is probably good for my blood pressure too. The steam really does help me reduce any stress I might have'.
Different types of aromatherapy oils can be used in conjunction with the steam. Simply put 5-8 drops of the aromatherapy oil into the aromatherapy steam outlet and then sit back and relax. The steam exiting the steam outlet will capture the aromatherapy oil and fill the cabin with your aroma of choice. It is proven that some blends of aromatherapy help relax the body and mind. Some people use aromatherapy for holistic reasons, others for relaxation and others because the fragrance is appealing. Reducing your stress is just another reason why you should buy a steam shower.
Chemicals, pesticides, poisons and heavy metals accumulate in our bodies over time through everyday normal living. Every time you smell car fumes, the reason you can smell them is because the toxic fumes have entered into your body. Most of the free radical chemicals, pesticides, poisons, fumes and heavy metals are dealt with and detoxified naturally, however some remain. These free radicals can cause all kinds of diseases and physical ailments, including cancer. Therefore, it's important to rid the body of them. Sweating is a natural way to rid the body of these toxins. Therefore, sweating in a steam shower can help reduce the toxic burden which is on the body.
Boosts Immune System
When the core temperature of the body is increased the natural reaction for the body is to produce antibodies. As with a fever, the body thinks it may be under attack from a virus. As a result of the increase in the body's antibodies, the immune system is strengthened, helping keep the body healthy and fit, fighting off viral infections more effectively.
Other health benefits include:
- Hydrates, cleanses and rejuvenates the skin
- Helps relieve pain in arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis sufferers
- Improves the respiratory system through stimulated circulation
- Reduces throat irritation
- Increases body's metabolism
Further health benefits of a steam session can be found here: Benefits of Steam.
A steam shower enclosure is more expensive than a normal shower enclosure. However, a normal shower enclosure doesn't include many of the aforementioned benefits that a steam shower enclosure offers. A steam shower will add value and desirability to a house while bringing many health benefits to you and your family. These points alone give ample justification for buying a steam shower. It is difficult to place a price on the health of your body and everything that can help has to be valuable.