Latest research has shown how the the combination of certain food products and groups can provide the body with more bang for your buck. Why not try some of the following food pairings the next time your visiting the supermarket, and try to introduce them into your diet.
See what effect these clever combinations have on your lifestyle:
- Green Tea & Lemon Juice – Green tea is a great warming alternative to the average cup of “joe” – Combine this with the rich vitamin C packed juice of a lemon, grapefruit or lime to help breakdown the heart-protecting oxidants found in the tea, known as catechins. Breaking them down makes it easier for your body to absorb them quicker, taking full advantage of all the good stuff.
- Tomatoes & Beans – Our bodies find it difficult to absorb iron from beans and leafy greens when compared to red meat and other protein rich foods. The key lies in vitamin C which helps to make iron easier to digest. Try to combine iron packed kidney beans with vitamin C rich tomatoes to gain the full benefits.
- Yogurt & Banana – If like us you find yourself aching after an exercise routine, try to combine carbs with protein to help speed effective muscle recovery. This common combination helps to increase the production of insulin, which causes muscles to soak up repairing nutrients.
- Fish & Wine – Research from Italy found that women who consumed a glass of red or white wine a day were found to have higher levels of healthy omega 3 fats. Why not try combining omega 3 rich, oily fish such as salmon with a glass of red or white wine to help increase your healthy fat absorption.
- Apples & Raspberries – Raspberries are rich in ellagic acid which helps to enhance the ability of quercetin – an antioxidant found in apples. Combine the two to increase your intake of the quercetin – a cancer fighting antioxidant.
Continuing on from our “Importance of Detox” article, we though we’d start with what we consider the most difficult detox of all – The Lemon Detox. Utilised by some of Hollywood’s biggest stars including Angelina Jolie, Madonna and Gwyneth Paltrow, the Lemon Detox is not designed for the faint hearted. So what does it consist of? Well, you abstain from anything that resembles solid food and survive on Natural Tree syrup diluted with filtered water, lemon juice, cayenne pepper or ground ginger.
What is the Lemon Detox?
The idea follows the eating philosophy of “grazing” – sipping the interesting concoction only when you feel hungry, aiming to take in at least 8 to 10 glasses a day. The Natural Tree Syrup is made from a variety of South East Asian palm syrups and the very best Canadian maple syrup, supplying your body with necessary vitamins and minerals. The lemon juice is added for it’s alkaline properties, whilst the cayenne pepper and ginger combined help speed the process of metabolism, improving overall circulation and the removal of toxins. The detox is expect to last 3 days, but has been known to go right up to 7 days. Pretty epic is you ask me.
When do I start?
The Lemon Detox is nothing new and is now widely available from most health food stores. However, if you do plan to take part in something as extreme as this, please consult your doctor or GP first. If your doctor gives you the go ahead, but your still worried about the entire process, you can book yourself in with the professionals at your local health spa. They’ll help you through the detox, whilst keeping you relaxed throughout.
The Lemon Detox
A word of warning – This detox can cause “cold turkey” from caffeine which causes headaches, tiredness and constipation. Not the most encouraging words, but still worth a shout if you’re committed.
Are you ready for the Lemon Detox?