2011 is now in full swing, and whilst we settle into the month of February, many of us may be struggling to stick to the New Years Resolution of losing weight. However, what many of us don’t realise is just how simple losing extra pounds can be if you know what you’re doing. You could even find yourself losing up to a stone or more over the next year without even trying.
Take a look at some of the Healthy Hideout’s top eating changes that you can look to implement this year;
- Cut out fizzy drinks – Although they provide those of us with a sweet tooth a quick fix, cutting out one can of fizzy drink a week can save up to 140 calories. This equates to just over 7000 calories a year. For a great healthy alternative, try drinking a glass of iced water with a squeeze of lemon or lime. Cool and refreshing!
- Eggs-citing! – When cooking with eggs, it’s important to remember that a whole egg contains 5 grams of fat with no fat in the egg white. If you’re cooking something that requires two eggs, such as an omelette, why not try using one yolk rather than both. This could save you up to 60 calories per meal each week, equating to almost 3000 calories a year.
- Popcorn – Typically associated with a trip to the theater, microwaved popcorn without the added sweeteners contains an average of just 31 calories with no fat. Compared this to the average packet of crisps which can contain 150 calories and almost 10 grams of fat. Tame your cravings and look to cut out almost 6000 calories over the year.
- Meat switch – If your week is normally filled with 2 servings of red meat, why not try changing one of your meals to fish. An average steak can contain almost 250 calories in comparison to a serving of cod which can contain just 80 calories. Save yourself an extra 150 calories each week and look to gain back almost 8000 calories over the year.
- We all scream for Ice Cream! – An average bowl of premium flavored ice cream can contain up to 16 grams of fat, in addition to almost 500 calories. Try switching this with a bowl of fresh fruit such as strawberries, and look to cut almost 450 calories. That’s a massive 20,000 calories a year – A figure that cannot be overlooked if you’re looking to lose a few pounds.