Latest research has shown how the the combination of certain food products and groups can provide the body with more bang for your buck. Why not try some of the following food pairings the next time your visiting the supermarket, and try to introduce them into your diet.
See what effect these clever combinations have on your lifestyle:
- Green Tea & Lemon Juice – Green tea is a great warming alternative to the average cup of “joe” – Combine this with the rich vitamin C packed juice of a lemon, grapefruit or lime to help breakdown the heart-protecting oxidants found in the tea, known as catechins. Breaking them down makes it easier for your body to absorb them quicker, taking full advantage of all the good stuff.
- Tomatoes & Beans – Our bodies find it difficult to absorb iron from beans and leafy greens when compared to red meat and other protein rich foods. The key lies in vitamin C which helps to make iron easier to digest. Try to combine iron packed kidney beans with vitamin C rich tomatoes to gain the full benefits.
- Yogurt & Banana – If like us you find yourself aching after an exercise routine, try to combine carbs with protein to help speed effective muscle recovery. This common combination helps to increase the production of insulin, which causes muscles to soak up repairing nutrients.
- Fish & Wine – Research from Italy found that women who consumed a glass of red or white wine a day were found to have higher levels of healthy omega 3 fats. Why not try combining omega 3 rich, oily fish such as salmon with a glass of red or white wine to help increase your healthy fat absorption.
- Apples & Raspberries – Raspberries are rich in ellagic acid which helps to enhance the ability of quercetin – an antioxidant found in apples. Combine the two to increase your intake of the quercetin – a cancer fighting antioxidant.